---------
Inspired by a project from the Rhode Island School of Design, we want an opportunity to catalogue the individual stories and voices that make us unique. A simple story project that provides a glimpse into the hearts and minds of the eclectic individuals from the International Portfolio.
A number of our colleagues have braved up to the challenge, we hope you will too. If you'd like to be involved in this project, please send a photo and a short story about youself to international.blog@rmit.edu.au
Kristin Marriner, Student Engagement Coordinator
I always thought I would be a trapeze artist, or a dolphin trainer, or just one of those really cool people who launches an online startup and becomes a 'Steve Jobs' sensation overnight. No such luck so far (sigh).
However, I am still pretty lucky. My life has been full of exciting and adventurous experiences. I grew up in regional Tasmania, so I guess it makes sense that I love most things outdoors (except for the cold - which is kind of ironic).
I'm inspired by the quirky, the original and the slightly crazy ideas that somehow come off. But most importantly I'm inspired by people, just ordinary people who do extraordinary things.
Meeting and working with Foundation Studies students is really rewarding, their enthusiasm for their next chapter in Melbourne is truly refreshing and makes me appreciate how awesome this city is!
Sandhya Burriss, Student Mobility Advisor
![]() |
| Sandhya on Worthing Beach, UK |
Coming from the UK I thought transition would be easy. I never know how to coin the frustration of 'why is everything so hard in this country?' until I worked in mobility.
Culture shock. This can happen even when you come from an English speaking country!
Number 1 tip: Things aren't harder, they are just different; embrace the difference
Joshua Lee, International Relations Officer
I always thought I had an amazing childhood growing up. My family works in the seafood industry. One of my fondest memories growing up was really tagging along with dad on his work trips.
As a family, we would visit fishing villages and farms in the most remote areas in Southeast Asia for days and weeks at a time. We would visit Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Combodia and live in what most would consider, pretty shocking accomodations. But what an education that was!
Joshua Lee, International Relations Officer
I always thought I had an amazing childhood growing up. My family works in the seafood industry. One of my fondest memories growing up was really tagging along with dad on his work trips.
As a family, we would visit fishing villages and farms in the most remote areas in Southeast Asia for days and weeks at a time. We would visit Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Combodia and live in what most would consider, pretty shocking accomodations. But what an education that was!




0 comments:
Post a Comment