Life as a marketing recruiter: Kenneth Eu



Kenneth is responsible for Marketing and Recruitment in Southeast Asia, RMIT's 3rd largest student recruitment market behind only Auspac (local Australians) and North Asia (primarily China).

To support him in this important task, Kenneth brings with him vast experience in international student recruitment having worked in the industry in the last 17 years (7 of those at RMIT).



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an earlier post, we gave you a perspective on a day in the life of our colleagues who went to the AIEC Conference. Today's entry narrows that focus to the road warriors in our portfolio from the International Recruitment and Mobility Unit.

Many think recruiters spend most of their time processing applications - they're barely scratching the surface. Recently, I caught up with Kenneth Eu, International Recruitment Coordinator for Southeast Asia and more recently, the awardee of Best Marketing Office 2014 by IDP.

The award recognised Kenneth's hard work and perseverance during turbulent and competitive environment in the Southeast Asian market. IDP was full of praise commending Kenneth's comprehensive knowledge of RMIT programs and relationship with key agents.


On the biggest challenge in his day-to-day role

People management! As a recruiter, you're responsible for managing a long list of stakeholders - agents, students, parents, partner etc. You have to clear, timely and concise with your key messages. Competition is another key factor. The industry is changing; we see competition not just from other overseas provider in the United Kingdom or the United States, mature markets like Singapore and Malaysia are too emerging as international education hubs. My biggest challenge is to juggle with the different needs of our stakeholders.

On the most important quality to have in international student recruitment

Go back to your marketing basics! You need knowledge and skills

You need product knowledge - what is your pricing? Your product differentiation? What works in a specific market but not the other? It's often these basic questions that makes the difference. In my line of work, I've noticed language skills to be very helpful as well - especially if you're not just bilingual but multilingual, it really helps!

With knowledge and skills, what you would really be able to develop is the relationship. Relationship is key in Asian markets; the Chinese call it 'guanxi' - unfortunately a direct translation doesn't quite do it justice!

In mature markets like Singapore and Malaysia, the market is crowded with foreign competition. Here, the relationship you have is a huge asset. With the schools, colleges, agents etc. I make it my personal goal to deliver quick, quality responses. Recruitment is a tough role. You're often required to work late at night, replying e-mails and enquiries at odd hours to meet the time difference. It's hard work but I thoroughly enjoy it! I'm proud to be able to create an impact very early in a student's life. 


On RMIT being a global university

To be global, we need to be innovative - creative, different. Having been in the industry for 17 years, I've realised while our markets have changed and grown, our practises have not! Take our the digital space and student recruitment channels have been vastly similar to what is always has been - education fairs, agents, local partners etc.

Part of a project I am working on, is to develop a unique recruitment and marketing channel which I believe has never been done before. We want to think beyond the current recruitment channels. In a world without borders, I believe there are newer, better ways to create a strong presence. With luck, we'll be able to launch this exciting project in January. 


On receiving the award

I was in Singapore when they announced it, and was very surprised even humbled by it. It's an amazing yet strange experience but I'm very grateful for this little gesture. It's a timely piece of motivation for the new semester!


0 comments:

Post a Comment